Tom was a 1945 graduate of Springfield High School, Montgomery County and was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in 1949 from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1952, he graduated from University of Pennsylvania Law School, LL.B., Bachelor of Law. He started in 1950 as a clerk at the law firm that now bears his name, Timoney Knox, in Fort Washington, PA and he practiced actively until the time of his death.
During the Korean war he served as captain in the Air Force in the office of the Judge Advocate General at the Air Force base in Tachikawa, Japan. He was a member of the Montgomery Bar Association, and the Pennsylvania Bar Association, a member of the Orphans’ Court Rules Committee, and Past President of the Montgomery County Estate Planning Council. He also served as a member of the Judicial Selection Committee of the PA Bar Association and was a longtime solicitor for the school district of Springfield township, Montgomery County.
His many contributions to the legal community were honored with the Montgomery County Estate Planning Council Lifetime Achievement Award, the Outstanding Service Award from Lower Gwynedd Township and the Flourtown Fire Company longtime service award. Since 1958 he has been a director of the Wissahickon Valley Watershed Association. The association established the 100 acre Timoney Preserve, in honor of his decades of work in land preservation. He was a charter member of the Rotary Club of Springfield, Montgomery County and named a Paul Harris Fellow in recognition of his long service to the club. He was also past president of the Board of Trustees of the Artman Home in Ambler and past president of the Timber Trails Community Association in Pocono Pines, Pa. In 2005 Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce named Timoney Outstanding Citizen of the Year.
John grew up in the Mount Airy-Chestnut Hill area of Philadelphia and graduated in January 1946 from Central High School, after he had commenced his studies at Yale University in the fall of 1945. In his youth, John was an active Boy Scout, became an Eagle Scout, and was a member of the summer camp staff at Treasure Island Camp for three years.
After graduating from Yale University in 1949, John served in Germany as a Field Secretary with the World YMCA, working with displaced persons of Eastern Europe, who were forced to live in Germany when the war ended. He returned to Philadelphia and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1953. He was an editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He served as the law clerk for Philadelphia’s Court of Common Pleas #6, composed of prominent judges: Curtis Bok, Gerald F. Flood, and Louis E. Levinthal.
John and his wife, Eleanor’s, first home was in Washington, D.C. where John served as an attorney for the Foreign Operations Administration, under Harold E. Stasson. John also was a Special Assistant to the U.S. Attorney General in the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice.
In 1956, John and Eleanor returned to Philadelphia, and after briefly practicing law in his father’s firm, John joined a small Montgomery County law firm, and helped it grow for the next 46 years. The firm for many years has been Timoney Knox, LLP. John loved the practice of law and his association with the organized Bar, especially the Montgomery Bar Association, where he served as President, and the Pennsylvania Bar Association, where he served for 25 years as a member of its House of Delegates.
John was always active in church, charitable, and community activities, including several social ministry organizations and Boards of the Lutheran Church. He chaired The Lutheran Charities Appeal in Southeast Pennsylvania for many years, chaired his Township’s zoning board and Library Board, and raised funds for the United Way, Cancer Crusade, and the Boy Scouts. He was a Scout Merit Badge Counselor, was active in Big Brothers, and helped several young boys in the Philadelphia and Montgomery County areas.
John, believed in giving back to worthy organizations with service and with financial support. He worked on many Habitat for Humanity house-building projects in several states, including on the Mississippi delta, southwest of Memphis in Mississippi.
John was the recipient of many awards for his services to community, Lutheran Church, and the Montgomery and Pennsylvania Bar Associations. These include awards for his mentoring services to Legal Aid, to youth and to the senior citizens of Pennsylvania after he chaired the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Senior Lawyers Committee. He was twice awarded the Philadelphia Philanthropy Day Award for his church social ministries agencies’ work.
Mark graduated from Ursinus College, received his LL.B and Juris Doctor degrees from the Dickinson School of Law and a Master of Comparative Law degree from Southern Methodist University School of Law. He also received a certificate of attainment from Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Institutio de Derecho Comparado, Mexico, D.F. After law school, he served as a judicial law clerk for The Honorable Robert W. Honeyman, Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas.
Mark was a former President of the Pennsylvania Borough Solicitors Association. The Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs presented him with the Thomas F. Chrostwaite Award in recognition of public service as a municipal solicitor. He was the Solicitor for the Norristown Borough Zoning Hearing Board, Planning Commission and Civil Service Commission. Mark also served as Assistant Solicitor for Ambler Borough. Since 1970 he has been Solicitor for the Telford Borough Council, Civil Service Commission, Planning Commission, and the Telford Borough Sewer and Water Authority. As a Municipal Solicitor, he participated in proceedings before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
Mark and his wife, Barbara, lived in Ambler, Pennsylvania. Mark was a kind man and a gentleman. He will truly be missed.