For most of its ninety plus years in Montgomery County, Timoney Knox has represented the townships, boroughs, zoning boards, water, sewer and other authorities that make up its local governments. We recognize that important decisions about how our communities will look, and whether they work efficiently and well, are made by local citizens who willingly undertake the job of representing their neighbors at the nightly meetings at the town hall.
We also understand that our local government units often operate as many of our business clients do, with a need for legal advice and services involving their contracts, employment, management issues, real estate, and state and federal litigation. However, we are well-versed in the special requirements of local governments and authorities, including drafting ordinances, handling zoning and open space issues, understanding the Municipalities Planning Code (MPC), compliance with state public notice and bidding requirements, answering Right To Know (RTK) and Open records requests, advising on grant applications and requirements, and dealing with the Sunshine Law.
Because several lawyers at our firm have served in local government, we are uniquely qualified to understand the special pressure that comes from working through complex and divisive issues in public and dealing with the press. We also understand the need for timely service and being responsive to your needs.
We “get it,” and we can help you and your township, borough, home rule community, authority or zoning board.
- Drafting both zoning and public health and safety ordinances
- Representing Zoning Boards and writing Zoning Decisions
- Dynamic and knowledgeable representation at Public Meetings
- Legal Advertising for compliance with the Sunshine Law and Public Notice Requirements
- Rendering Expert Zoning Opinion Testimony
- Buying and selling real estate in compliance with state and federal laws
- Handling state court litigation and Federal Civil Rights litigation
- Eminent Domain and Assessments advice
- Easements, Covenants and Paper Streets issues
- Acting as Special Counsel in zoning and other proceedings
For help with any of these issues, call or email a member of the Municipal Law team. We are happy to discuss your needs with you.